Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Fermented Cashew and Macadamia Cheese Experiment

Ok, so Russell James' book about raw vegan cheese recipes is awesome. Let me begin by saying that I am undoubtedly a cheese freak. Cheese is one of the hardest foods for me to let go of when being raw. I love the taste, the consistency, and its multiplicity of uses, from everything as simple as good old baguettes, cheese and confit... all the way to a big batch of black bean nachos. Cheese is amazing, and the only part that is not so amazing is the cruelty involved to cows, and its health consequences. :-(

HOWEVER... there is a redeemer. These raw vegan "nut" cheeses (gross name... i seriously barfed when i heard that term for the first time) are "aged" just like real cheese, (although for not nearly as long) they have rinds like real cheese, and they are firm and even slice just like real cheese. Pretty awesome.

Russell James' e-book about these wonderful creations is DEFINITELY worth the money as it gives in depth instructions about how to actually make raw fermented cheeses, as well as several clever ideas for recipes.

I just made a large batch of cashew mix that will be fermenting for the next day or so, as well as a smaller batch of macadamia mix that is also fermenting. It's a lengthy process, but the end result is more than worth the wait.

Also, I intend on making the cracker recipe he puts in his book, as well as some of the jams to go along with my cheese. SO STOKED.

Wish me luck.

Best,

Cliff

No comments:

Post a Comment