Monday, December 13, 2010

Raw Vegan Jalapeño Poppers!

Ok so I have a pretty exciting recipe that I just discovered. I was eating (very UNvegan and very UNraw) nachos at Sharky's Mexican Grill and I was thinking about just how much I love jalapeños. While normally I'm not a big spicy food kind of guy, jalapeños just work for me. I have no idea why, but I can't get enough! Then I remembered this time that I had jalapeño poppers I had that were filled with MOZZARELLA CHEESE! As much as I loved the conventional version, final exams is no time to put up with clogged sinuses and a compromised immune system.

Then, I started thinking, "what if i made jalapeño poppers with the same "nacho cheese" that I use for kale chips?"et voila. My new obsession was born.

I bought about 6 or 7 jalapeños and sliced them in half, took out most of the seeds (but kept 7 or 8 in each little shell for spice), and filled them with the "nacho cheese" recipe below.

They take FOREVER to dehydrate, but you can start eating them about a day into the whole process. They're so good and I'm proud of myself for this discovery.

Here's the recipe!


- Get 8 or 9 jalapeño peppers and wash them thoroughly
- Cut them in half lengthwise
- Scrape out excess innards and seeds (but make sure to leave a few in there!)
- Place on a plate and put aside

- In a food processor, mix the following ingredients:
          1 red bell pepper de-stemmed and de-seeded
          1 cup cashews (soaked for 4-8 hours)
          1T nutritional yeast
          1/2t herbamere (or pink himalayan salt)
          2t raw local honey

- Take a spoon, and fill the jalapeño halves with the "cheese" mixture
- When filling is finished, take 3 scallion greens, and dice them into small rings, and garnish the peppers
- Dehydrate at 105 degrees until completely dry (should take more than 24 hours to completely dry, but you can begin eating them after about 12 hours)

This recipe is madness!


Best,

Cliff

2 comments:

  1. Well done! This looks like something I'd love. Jalapenos are indeed addicting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe. I also have made eggplant bacon, dried for about half the time. Now the little japs have their eggplant caps and we'll know how delicious they are tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete